Sherritt Greene

» Calgary Immigration Lawyers

FAQ - Sherritt Greene

Canada welcomes immigrant from around the globe, thousands of them every year. Many people come to Calgary and Alberta for work, family, personal, or travel purposes. If you are exploring Canadian immigration, though, you may find that the process seems extensive and even confusing, and you probably have some questions. Below is some basic information about Canadian immigration; contact an experienced immigration lawyer to discuss your unique situation.

Who can immigrate to Canada?

Canadian law has created several channels that allow people to immigrate to Canada for a variety of reasons. Some relocate to Canada to work, or perhaps to start a business. Some come to join their family that may already be here. Students may often come to Canada to study or gain valuable work and internship experience. Corporations are also known to relocate large numbers of their workers to Canada in order to staff new locations or bolster the efficiency of existing facilities. There are, however, different and highly specific criteria that people must meet in order to be eligible for one of these channels, and then eligible individuals must generally complete an application process. Some applicants with serious medical problems or a criminal record may face a more complicated process, but even these issues may be overcome in some cases; an experienced immigration lawyer can help you evaluate your situation.

What is a permanent resident card and how do I get one?

A permanent resident card is a document which allows a person to live and work anywhere in Canada. Permanent resident cards are available to skilled workers, entrepreneurs, investors, and certain self-employed persons. Canadian citizens and permanent residents may also apply to “sponsor” close family relatives to come join them in Canada as permanent residents. There are also other channels for those who wish to come to Canada on humanitarian or compassionate grounds or as a caregiver. Finally, some Canadian provinces have their own Provincial Nominee Programs to enable people to come to the province and seek permanent resident status. Specific eligibility requirements and application procedures vary depending on your reason for seeking permanent resident status.

Permanent residence comes with certain responsibilities and can be revoked in certain circumstances (for example, if a person spends extended periods of time outside Canada or is convicted of a crime). Assuming all goes well, a Canadian permanent resident is eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship after three years.

How is a work permit different from a permanent resident card?

A work permit allows an eligible person to reside and work in Canada for a specific period of time—not indefinitely. Work permits may also come with restrictions on the type of work you can do while in Canada. A work visa will not necessarily lead to Canadian permanent resident status.

How can I become a Canadian citizen?

You must live in Canada for three years as a permanent resident before you can apply for Canadian citizenship. You will also need to determine whether you will be giving up your citizenship in another country. Current Canadian law allows Canadian citizens to also hold citizenship in one or even two other countries, but you will need to find out whether your home country allows dual citizenship. Once you decide to apply for citizenship, you will complete an application to show that you are eligible, and you will need to demonstrate that you are proficient in either French or English and take a test to show that you are familiar with Canada’s history, values, institutions and symbols. After you become a citizen, you will have all the rights of any other citizen; you will be entitled to vote in Canada and apply for a Canadian passport.

Sherritt Greene, Barristers and Solicitors: Immigration Advice You Can Trust

Since its inception in 1998, the law firm of Sherritt Greene has become one of the premiere immigration law firms in Alberta, serving individual clients and corporations from across the globe in matters involving travel or relocation to Canada. With more than 50 years of combined experience in all areas of immigration law, the firm’s legal team has earned a solid reputation among clients, courts, and the legal community for their integrity, professionalism, and efficiency. After 15 years in practice together, Michael Sherritt and Michael Greene remain committed to the highest standards of client care and representation, and to achieving the best possible result for every client. They work to stay up-to-date on the latest developments in immigration law so that they can find cutting-edge solutions for their clients’ needs. They will take the time to understand your situation, explain your options, and guide you through the immigration process. The Sherritt Greene Immigration Law Centre is located at 301 Mount Royal Village, 1550 8th St. SW, Calgary, Alberta T2R 1K1 Canada, or they can be reached at (866) 847-6361.