Jennifer Roggemann Law Office

» Kitchener Immigration Lawyers

Work Permits - Jennifer Roggemann Law Office

If you are looking to work in Canada for a specific period of time, you will need a proper work permit. In most cases, work permits have to be applied for outside Canada, and your employer will play a key role in the application procedure.

Timing Considerations In Obtaining Work Permits

Work permit applications take varying degrees of time to complete, so the sooner you get started, the better.  You can speed up the process by making sure all required information is included in your application; providing photocopies and supporting documents that are legible and neat; and providing translations of documents as needed.

Certain factors  may delay the process, such as a criminal background or unresolved divorce or child custody issues. Additional time may also be needed if immigration officials need to contact your employer to verify information, or if they decide that a medical examination is required.

Applying for a Work Permit

Before filling out any application information, you will want to make sure you have a written job offer from your employer, proof that you meet the requirements of the job (education, experience, certifications, etc.), and a positive labor market opinion of your job offer from Human Resources and Skills Development of Canada (HRSDC). Your employer is responsible for obtaining all HRSDC documentation. You must also have legal status in the country from which you are applying. Remember, however, that none of this guarantees the issuance of a work permit.

Once the application is complete, sign and date it and make sure you have accounted for all required documents and fees. There is a non-refundable fee that is required when applying for a work permit. Remember that the application will be rejected if any materials are missing or incomplete. Your application should be submitted to the visa office responsible for your country or area of residence. Following submission, be sure to notify the visa office of any changes to the information on your application.

Additional Requirements

In some cases, work permits may have to be accompanied by passports and temporary resident visas, depending on exactly how long you plan to remain in country.  A temporary resident visa is an official document that is placed in your passport. You do not have to make a separate application for this; if your work permit is approved, the visa will be issued along with the other documentation needed to enter Canada as a worker.

An Experienced Immigration Lawyer Can Help

Immigration lawyer Jennifer Roggemann provides a wide variety of immigration-related services, including work permit applications. She can help you with the application and supporting documentation, and guide you through every step of the process.

The Law Offices of Jennifer Roggemann are located at 1135 King St E Kitchener, ON N2G 2N3 and she can be reached by calling (519) 744-3570.  She serves Kitchener and all surrounding areas, and is committed to prompt and courteous communication, excellent follow-through, and timely preparation and filing of all relevant documents for your immigration case. Call now to get connected and start your work permit application today.