Butkowsky Immigration Law

» Toronto Immigration Lawyers

Study Permit - Butkowsky Immigration Law

Foreign students who wish to study in Canada will require a study permit. Because processing of a study permit application may take as long as six months, it is recommended that a student begin the process as early as possible. The Canadian Embassy or Consulate in your home country can provide information about processing times as well as possible deadlines for applications to study abroad.

There are a few categories of students who will not need a study permit. You may not need a study permit if you are planning on a short-term course or program that will last only six months or less. Similarly, a minor child who is already in Canada and whose parents are not visitors to Canada is not required to have a study permit. Finally, if you are a family member or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, then there is no requirement for a study permit in order to attend classes in Canada.

In all other cases, a study permit will need to cover the entire length of your study program in Canada. In addition to a study permit, students from certain countries may need to have a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). There are a number of documents required for application to receive a study permit, including: proof of your acceptance to the educational institution in Canada; proof of your identity, such as a valid passport and photo; proof that you will have adequate financial support while you are in Canada, such as a bank account or bank drafts for a period of several months; and proof of your tuition and residence fees. Applicants may also have to pass a medical exam; this may extend your application’s processing time by up to three months.

Once the study permit application has been submitted and the fees paid, Canada Citizenship and Immigration will review the application and issue a letter regarding the status of your study permit. This letter will need to accompany you when you come to the immigration office to receive your study permit. There is no processing fee for requesting an extension of your study permit once you are in Canada.

Butkowsky Immigration Law is committed to providing sound advice and excellent client service in the field of immigration law. The firm enjoys a strong reputation in the Toronto legal community, and is committed to obtaining the best possible results in every case. After more than 20 years in practice, Larry Butkowsky remains passionate about helping his clients and will work tirelessly to protect their rights and ensure that the immigration process to Canada is a smooth and efficient one.  His firm is located at 41 Madison Ave., Toronto, Ontario M5R 2S2, or he may be reached by calling (647) 694-0539.